Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Aloha.

I am in Hawaii and sunburned once more. But I am alive, which is good. And as usual, it is mind-blowingly gorgeous here. I'm not sure it gets much better than this.

One night in Paris during a deep philosophical conversation Jamie said some things that made me realize I need to seriously reevaluate the way I approach certain aspects of my life. That's good. I figure I'm at a good point in my life to be able to tackle this, too, since for the first time in four years I'm indefinitely separated from college life, which has a sneaky tendency to thwart my efforts to improve. I'm just not sure I've ever received such good, believable advice before.

Speaking of efforts, I've been much less successful in leaving things behind on this trip than I had hoped. It's my fault, of course, for not completely forsaking the internet, but I am a Dartmouth student after all. Old thoughts permeate my dreams and follow me in to waking life, but sometimes I succeed in distracting myself.

**Aside: The hotel girl just blew the conch that signals the beginning of the lighting of the torches. The beach is lined with torches that are lit one by one by an employee dressed in a grass skirt and a floral head wreath and swinging a lit rag on a stick. It's quite fun, and not as kitsch as it sounds, I assure you.**

I've learned that I am terrible at breaking codes, too, despite having just read a book on the subject.

Now it is dinnertime, and I'm going back to my world of manapua and guava juice and papayas and mangos and pupus and sunburns and sea turtles and eels and sea urchins and snorkeling and baby sea hares and schools of pipe fish and green green leaves and pina coladas and palm trees and 80 degree ocean water and sand that's really parrot fish poop. (And somehow I still manage to slip into depression or anger from time to time...goes to show the weaknesses of my soul.)

PS--reading The Last Temptation of Christ. Not bad. Also: was slightly saddened to find that Be My Escape is about God and not a girl.

PPS-My facebook picture is of my new favorite statue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home