Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Bakey bakey

In a few minutes our pies will be out of the oven. We made pumpkin pie from real pumpkins, not from cans. There are three of them. They smell good. One is "mine" because I made the crust. Here is photographic proof that this did in fact happen. (Mine is on the bottom.)



Tomorrow morning I am run/walking in the Turkey Trot, 5K version. Theoretically it's for a good cause, but really I'm just doing it so I feel less guilty about eating tomorrow evening.

To those of you who are already in the 24th, Happy Thanksgiving.

(I am sad, because this year we're not doing our own turkey at home, which means NO TURKEY SANDWICHES!!! :( I think I'm going to force my mom to cook a turkey breast over the weekend just so we can pretend we have leftovers. I think I may even prefer the turkey in sandwich form to its on-a-plate-with-gravy form.)

I will post a picture of my pie when it is finished because I am proud of it. :)

(My mom says she's good at baking pies because when she was little she got pneumonia and stayed home alone for most of a summer while her mom went to work, so she took all the times she'd watched her mom bake pies and learned to bake her own. Her reason? "I baked a lot because I wanted to eat pie, but no one would bake one for me. So I would make a custard pie, eat it, and hide the pan under my bed so my mom wouldn't find out. I was kind of piggy.")

Today at the grocery store I bought a DVD of Metropolis (the 1927 silent film by Fritz Lang, a still from which inspired Tezuka Osamu to write the awesome anime film of the same name) that ALSO had the movie "Things To Come" written by HG Wells, and since it was $5 I felt compelled to buy it. Even if both films are terrible (which I doubt), I will have paid $2.50 apiece for vintage junk, which is fine with me. I had to buy it because of Metropolis, though. Even though it's a different story altogether. Five dollars. Seriously.

Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith. I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen NIN Metropolis?
http://www.killpopradio.com/met.html

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home